Property and Casualty 101

Property and casualty insurance

Question 2

What are the different types of P&C coverage?

  • Workers’ Compensation
  • Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)
  • Commercial Auto
  • Excess Insurance
  • Umbrella Policy
  • State Disability

Different types of P&C coverage

Workers’ Compensation

Insurance covering the cost of medical care and compensation for lost income to employees who suffer an occupational disease or injury while at work. Each state has different workers’ compensation laws and requirements.

Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)

Bundles property and general liability coverage into a single policy. It enables you to purchase a broad range of coverage at a cost that is typically lower than if you purchased each form of coverage separately. BOP coverage can be tailored to particular business needs.

Commercial Auto

Includes liability and physical damage insurance that covers vehicles owned by your company – and includes coverage for you in the event your employees use their personal vehicles on company business.

Excess Insurance

Provides additional financial coverage for liability claims beyond the limits of a specified limit.
If purchased, check with an insurance professional that all the underlying liability limits are adequate.

Umbrella Policy

Provides additional financial coverage for liability claims beyond the limits of business, auto, general liability, or employer’s liability insurance policies.
Tip: An umbrella policy may be more expensive than excess insurance coverage. Make sure you speak to a licensed agent for advice.

State Disability

Provides temporary cash benefits to an eligible wage earner disabled by illness or injury that occurs outside of work, or because the wage earner becomes disabled due to pregnancy. For example, if you are a New York-based employer, you are required to provide disability benefits to all eligible employees. Disability benefits include cash payments only – employers and insurance carriers are not responsible for medical care.


Some additional coverage options include:

  • Errors and Omissions
  • Directors and Officers
  • Product Liability
  • Commercial Property
  • Fire
  • Flood

Next Question: Why do businesses need P&C coverage

The information contained in this website represents the products and services available through one of the business groups of Automatic Data Processing Insurance Agency, Inc. (ADPIA). ADPIA services mid and large size clients with various insurance products and services through its other business groups.

All insurance products will be offered and sold only through Automatic Data Processing Insurance Agency, Inc., its licensed agents or its licensed insurance partners, 1 ADP Blvd., Roseland, NJ 07068. CA license # 0D04044. Licensed in 50 states. Automatic Data Processing Insurance Agency, Inc. is an affiliate of ADP, LLC. Certain services may not be available in all states. Certain services are provided through the carrier partners and an additional carrier fee may apply. ADP and the ADP Logo are registered trademarks of ADP, LLC. Copyright © 2016 ADP, LLC.